St. Benedict, patron saint of African-Americans, was beatified by Pope Benedict XIV in 1743 and canonized in 1807 by Pope Pius VII, he is remembered for his patience and understanding.
In 1890 that certain property on Central Avenue, (now M L King Avenue) St. Augustine, Florida, was deeded to Bishop John Moore whose plans were to erect a church, school and other buildings whose income would support a resident priest.
On February 5, 1911 the Most Reverend Bishop William J. Kenney dedicated the Church of St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church and from this date through 1914 the church was a mission in charge of Cathedral Clergy. The first rector of St. Benedict was Father James B. Albert, SSJ, whose work still bears fruit in St. Augustine.
On February 5, 2011, St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church and all of St. Augustine has cause to celebrate the 100th Anniversary.